Monday, August 5, 2013

Growing Spiritully & Becoming Stronger

This past month, I have been thinking a lot about growing. I'm sure that most of us have photos as kids in elementary and middle school, and when you look at them, you can't help but realize how much you have changed and grown over the past years. It's hard for me to even imagine that I used to be a small little baby that my mom would rock to sleep. Although I have obviously grown since birth, it's so interesting for me to think about my spiritual growth.

About 7 months ago my life totally changed. Getting baptized was the best thing I ever did, and I've probably grown more mature in these past few months than I have in four years combined. One of my good friends Sucelly, who was just baptized a few weeks ago, told me the other day that even she had grown to be a different person in just a few weeks of being with the church and putting God first in her life. There is no doubt in my mind that when we commit our lives to God, we will become stronger.
Exodus 15:2 "The LORD is my strength and my defense; he has become my salvation. He is my God, and I will praise him, my father's God, and I will exalt him."
Psalm 29:11 "The LORD gives strength to his people; the LORD blesses his people with peace."

One of my professors this past semester made a really good point that I won't ever forget. She said to the class "If you are never feeling uncomfortable, you aren't growing." I think this quote stuck with me so much because I have always hated being uncomfortable. I mean, who likes feeling out of their comfort zone? I think that's one of the reasons why it took me so long to get baptized. The idea made me squirm! I had been to church all my life and heard about how extremely important it was.. I just always felt this huge pressure. My life would change. My relationships with people would change. My priorities in life would change. I was scared of all these things, and I was honestly scared to grow. Turns out though, that change was the best decision in my life that I have made. 
Now, I'm not saying that you should always go out and do something that makes you feel extremely uncomfortable, but I think it's important for us to sit back and look at the current situation and ask ourselves if it's an opportunity to grow and be stronger Christian people.

No comments:

Post a Comment